home, wine | View Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
Except as noted, these were all 1978 Napa Valley cabs.
- Phelps Backus (13.6%): group score 50.
- Phelps Eisele (13.5%): group score 54. Showed some eucalyptol or menthol, typical for the vineyard.
- Beaulieu Rutherford (12.5%): group score 95.
- Beaulieu Private Reserve (13.5%): group score 76.
- Sterling Merlot (13%): group score 83. Grapey, mineral, and over the hill.
- Tulocay (13.3%): group score 75. Gone, and going off.
- Villa Mt Eden Reserve (13%): group score 45. Drying out, but still nice.
- Chateau Prieure Lichine, Margaux (12.5%): group score 56. Distinctive for its green bell-pepper nose, I'll claim credit for picking this one out as the French interloper in the group. It was also my favorite of the tasting.